Sunday, May 5, 2019

A Very Large, Blurry, Grey Line


Harry Potter! As I mentioned already, I miss a lot of the big stuff. I remember going to Walmart with my Mom and brother to wait in line for the release of The Deathly Hallows. I had already read the first six, but as we were getting one copy of the seventh, my brother had dibs. I then never got around to it, until now. It’s crazy how Harry Potter was the coolest thing I had ever read when I was younger, I ate it up in hours. Now, as I read the seventh, it’s still just as cool (and very nostalgic), but I can see the writing is meant for a younger audience and the characters are not as complex as in some books I have read today. In The Deathly Hallows, all of the happenings of the first six books come to a head, and that leaves a lot of moral issues and challenges to be addressed. Even as an adult, it’s an important lesson to learn that not everything (acutally almost nothing) is black and white. People are grey. A good person can do bad things and still be a good person. Dumbledore and Snape throughout these books are good examples of this. Snape, kind of a grouchy and introverted man, had been the aid of Dumbledore under the feigned identity of one of Voldemort’s men. Dumbledore may have used Harry and others in ways that harmed them, but ultimately saved everyone or made the world a better place for everyone. Initially, audiences can be upset about some of the choices made, but as you stop to think and consider the alternatives, many come to understand why things are done the way they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment