Sunday, May 5, 2019

The Martian!


I know we’re supposed to read something we haven’t read, but as I’ve kept up with that in all three classes and this is one of my all time favorite reads, I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to read The Martian again. The Martian is so damn relatable. I mean haven’t we all gotten stuck on Mars with absolutely no hope of returning? (By ourselves with an extensive knowledge of botany? Show of hands?) Only kidding, but what I’m getting at is Andy Weir created this story that is still completely out of the realm of possibility for all of us here on earth but gave it such a funny and relatable character that it’s hard not to read the whole book in one sitting. I mean,

“I’m pretty much fucked.”

It’s perfect. And it definitely doesn’t end there. This book is the perfect blend of funny, science-nerdy, gripping, and hopeful. It’s an impossible situation, but it isn’t exactly the most unbelievable solution, which is what you usually get from the impossible situations. I’d read it a thousand times and continue to highlight my favorite parts. If anyone was looking to get a little bit more out of Weir, his second book, Artemis is maybe not as good, but has the same humor and is totally worth the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment